When I say "whatever" it means "anything that I want to write!" It's J's Blog of Whatever!!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: State of Confusion

  • Visit My Picture Blog
  • Sign My Guestbook
  •  

    Previous Posts

    Highlights
    What kind of movies do you enjoy watching?
      
    Free polls from Pollhost.com

    Monday, January 25, 2010

    Oh, I'll Tell You How That Makes Me "Feel".

    Quick vent I wrote a few weeks ago. Hunter doesn't like psychology. Boo. Some people just don't understand. Finally posting. Haha. Expect random updates in the near future. K? ^_^



    Psychology. Noun. The science of the mind or of mental states and processes.


    I believe in psychology. Bite me. A girl without a daddy is gonna give it away to the first guy who looks twice at her. Putting up the "wet paint" sign only makes people want to touch it more. Screw someone over, betray their trust; they'll think twice before confiding in someone like you again. People are predictable. People have patterns. And people let instinct dominate their thoughts.

    But I believe in exceptions. I believe in choice, and I believe in the better side of people drawing a definitive line between right and wrong.

    Do I see it? Not often. Do I hope for it? You bet.


    I remember having a conversation with Hunter, back in the summer.

    "It's psychology." I said, referring to who knows what.

    "Psychology is bullcrap." He responded, obviously set in stone in his thoughts.

    "No. The practice of psychology is bullcrap. The study of psychology is not."


    In studying psychology, you are provided with answers to questions about other people. This is good, because not only can you identify what's good and bad in other people, but you can see it in yourself too. Learning how to treat people, or how people react to certain things--that's important. Understanding your own mind and how it processes and makes decisions--that's crucial. Without this ability, how can you improve who you are? Hm? Psychology, when well understood and put in the hands of someone who can properly use it, is a powerful tool; one of the greatest.


    But how often is psychology used correctly? How often is it's practice designed for a legitimate purpose?

    Last February I talked to a professional psychologist, two in fact. And you know what they said? Not joking here.

    "How does that make you feel?"

    I kid you not. Here's where government funded therapy services fall through the cracks. How are you feeling? What can I do to make you feel better? How can I give you the illusion that everything's going to be ok?

    See where I'm going?

    Ok. Now onto real therapy. Here's the problem.

    You walk in with some mentally spawned problem like OCD or mild depression, and they blow it out of proportion.

    What pills can I give you? How can I keep you between independent and out of control? What can I do to make you think you're getting better?

    I'll explain the real problem here in a minute.

    But wait, there are serious mental problems. Chemical imbalances, things you just can't help. But there's hope right? Guess what doc says.

    "Now, how does that make you feel?"


    I know that nothing can be done about this, and psychologists really aren't to blame. But my problem with the practice of psychology? It's people telling people to rely on something else. Pills, another person, a stress ball, their self. Who's going to heal the wounds of your mind? Think hard.

    Hello! God! He does that. But a psychologist can't tell you that. Perfectly understandable. But the patient? The patient can't tell them self? Hm. I don't buy that. If that patient takes a good look at their self, and a really good look at their spirituality; they can find comfort. Yes, take pills! Talk to someone! Do what you can, but getting better is not the universes doing, it's not a therapists magic power. It's a divine power. And when people lose that focus, and replace God with the idol of anti-depressants or a faith in a human being (a doctor), that's when hope goes out the door. And curing the mind becomes too distant to touch. "No hope". Time to make another appointment.



    link | posted by J at 6:36 PM |


    0 Comments:

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela | edited by J