When I say "whatever" it means "anything that I want to write!" It's J's Blog of Whatever!!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: State of Confusion

  • Visit My Picture Blog
  • Sign My Guestbook
  •  

    Previous Posts

    Highlights
    What kind of movies do you enjoy watching?
      
    Free polls from Pollhost.com

    Monday, May 08, 2006

    Band Tryouts

    Ahhh...The saxophone...
    A beautiful sound...
    The alto-sax...
    A low, calm set of notes played on the treble clef...
    But I can't play it!

    I walked into the band room for tryouts. It was flooded with people around my age. For weeks I have known that I want the alto-sax. I have heard it many times before and I find the woodwind family a very simple yet challenging class. I tried out for the alto sax. Good..good...
    "Lemme see your hand." The lady asked.
    Everyone knows I am very petite.
    I held my hand up to hers.
    "Sorry, you can't play the alto-sax...Too small."
    Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know what you're thinking: Oh no! Poor J! Her fragile little heart is crushed. Well, you'll be surprised! Here is a compliment:
    "I bet you'd be really good at the clarinet."
    So, I get in line. I wait..wait..wait... She hands me the clarinet and I play a bit. She said I was very good. Only one problem: I do not like the clarinet. She said I would enjoy the trumpet. Don't ask... I went over to the trumpet and waited and waited with Olivia and Andrew. We chatted and stuff and eventually they left and I was all alone... Well, not really, there were a lot of people in line. Eventually it is my turn to try out. He hands me a trumpet and I caught on pretty quick. I played a few notes without really trying, and admittedly did pretty well. He wanted to challenge me. He hadn't done this with the other people.
    "Go higher..."
    Yeah--I'm dead.
    I can't sing high at all! I am not a high-pitch person. On the trumpet, I had a variety of low and medium notes. I could do the low without sturggling. Keep in mind, I am a girl.
    I played a few notes, as high as I could go, which was not very high. He asked me to go higher... I'll let you do the math. Ever heard the sound effects of a car wreck?
    Aside from that, he said I was pretty good and caught on quickly. He said that if I needed more options, I should try the flute. Bleehhhh.... I went to try the flute and I waited and waited... I just had to be so tiny that I couldn't play the instrument I really liked. I thought about some other options. I did like the sound of the trumpet... It is a good size... I seem to have a natural ability of some sort, or at least close enough...
    My turn... I held the fulte sideways. What had Olivia told me about it? She is a great musician, and she had learned how to play the flute. She said something like close your lips and make a tiny hole, and go too. She had showed me, so I tried to imitate. The sudden high pitch almost scared me. I paused, and played a little more. The woman said I would be very good at the flute, and told me I should probably consider it. She asked if I had anything else on my mind. I answered her with "The trumpet" and told her about my alto sax problem. She said I should go back to the trumpet and ask the trumpet dude what he thinks. She didn't use the term dude, though. I went to the trumpet area, but there was a different guy there. He wasn't in a hurry like the other man, and seemed to take time to talk to people. I told him my story and he asked what kind of pitch I like. What kind of pitch do I like? The alto sax is on the treble clef, but it's low and smoothe. I described that sound to him and he said that the trumpet would be good for my liking. I thought about this, and told him that I got more compliments on my flute playing. I asked if I could try the trumpet again to see where I stood in the skills department. I played for him and he said I was very good. He had me play some more and worked with me a bit. He told me I had talent in the brass instrument area. I made the decision... your reading the blog of a trumpet player...

    Olivia: Guess what!
    Me: What?
    Olivia: I decided to play the alto sax!

    My dear, sweet Olivia...
    LOL


    link | posted by J at 5:22 PM |


    0 Comments:

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela | edited by J